Albrecht Dürer, The Entombment (The Small Passion), 1612
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||The Entombment (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.44; K. 250; M.153; Str.128|
|Image:||5 in x 3 13/16 in (12.7 cm x 9.7 cm)|
|Sheet:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed:||22 in x 20 ¾ in (55.8 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
Capturing the tragedy of Christ's crucifixion, Durer depicts the aftermath in this scene of mourning and reverence, Durer The Entombment (The Small Passion), 1612. Bowing their heads in sadness, followers of Christ gently lay his lifeless body to rest. Delicate and detailed, this work is exemplary of Dürer's mastery of the woodcut medium. We feel the immense sorrow and anguish of Christ's followers in this emotional and touching work.
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer The Entombment (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 44.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 250 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Meder, Joseph, Dürer-Katalog, 1932. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no 153.
4) Scheller, Robert W. and Karel G. Boon, The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer Hans Dürer and the Dürer School, 1971, Listed as cat no 153.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 214.
6) Strauss, Walter L., Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, 1980. Listed as catalogue raisonnè no 128.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Albrecht Durer The Entombment (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.