Albrecht Dürer, Agony in the Garden (The Small Passion), 1612
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Agony in the Garden (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.26; K.232; M.135; H.135; Str.142|
|Image:||5 in x 3 7/8 in (12.7 cm x 9.8 cm)|
|Sheet:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed:||22 in x 20 3/4 in (55.9 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' on a slate in the lower left.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
Agony in the Garden from the Small Passion features Christ as central to the composition, kneeling down in prayer while his fellow disciples sleep at his feet. The image captures a peaceful and fleeting moment of meditation, as Roman soldiers can be seen entering the garden gate in the distant background. According to Strauss, "this woodcut has been praised for the realistic rendering of the prayerful attitude of Christ and the sleeping disciples - they appear to be actually asleep, not merely with their eyes closed…the figures take up the entire picture area to the exclusion of architectural elements or a large landscape" (414).
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer Agony in the Garden (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 26.
2) Kurth, W. (1963). The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer. Dover Publications, Inc.: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 232 and discussed on page 30.
3) Meder, J. (1932). Dürer-Katalog. Verlag Gilhofer & Ranschburg: Wien. Listed as catalogue raisonné no. 135 on pg. 137.
4) Scheller, R. W. & Boon, K. G. (1971). The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and The Dürer School. Vangendt & Co.: Amsterdam. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 135 on pgs. 119 & 120.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 196 on pg. 302-3.
6) Strauss, W. L. (1980). Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Woodblocks. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 142 on pgs. 414-5.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Albrecht Durer Agony in the Garden (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.