|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Christ at Emmaus (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.48; K.254; M.157; Str.132|
|Image Size:||4 15/16 in x 3 3/4 in (12.5 cm x 9.5 cm)|
|Sheet Size:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed Size:||22 in x 20 3/4 in (55.9 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
|Gallery Price:||Please call us 510-777-9970 for availability.|
This work is an intimate look at one of the pinnacle scenes in the Passion of the Christ. Walter L. Strauss quotes directly from the bible, a passage which Dürer has been able to illustrate with incredible detail and emotion:
And it came to pass, as he sat with them, he took bread and blessed it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he vanished out of their sight. (Luke 24:30-31)
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
This work is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 48.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 254 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Meder, Joseph, Dürer-Katalog, 1932. Listed and illustrated as cat no 157.
4) Scheller, Robert W. and Karel G. Boon, The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer Hans Dürer and the Dürer School, 1971, Listed as cat no 157.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 218.
6) Strauss, Walter L., Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, 1980. Listed as cat no 132.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.