Albrecht Dürer, Christ Before Herod (The Small Passion), 1612
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Christ Before Herod (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.32; K.238; M.141; H.138; Str.117|
|Image:||4 7/8 in x 3 13/16 in (12.4 cm x 9.7 cm)|
|Sheet:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed:||22 in x 21 in (55.9 cm x 53.3 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
USD $7,000 GBP £5,250
Of this print Strauss has stated, "The artist has captured this moment of anxiety on the part of Herod Antipas. The figure of Christ is imposing, his height emphasized by the arch above him, quite in contrast to the smallness of his appearance in the preceding sheet (Christ before Pilate)" (Strauss, 364). Christ's presence is commanding in this lofty, open space, further highlighting his noble and powerful nature.
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Dürer Christ Before Herod (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 32.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 238 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Meder, Joseph. Dürer-Katalog, Vienna, 1932. Listed as cat. no. 141.
4) Scheller, Robert W. and Boon, Karel G. The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and The Dürer School, Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 141.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 202 on pgs. 311-12.
6) Strauss, Walter L. Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, Abaris Books, Inc.: New York, 1980. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 117.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
ABOUT THE FRAMING:
Albrecht Durer Christ Before Herod (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.