Albrecht Dürer, Christ Crowned with Thorns (The Small Passion), 1612
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Christ Crowned with Thorns (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.34; K.240; M.143; H.143; Str.119|
|Image:||4 15/16 in x 3 13/16 in (12.5 cm x 9.7 cm)|
|Sheet:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed:||22 1/4 in x 21 in (56.5 cm x 53.3 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
Price on Request
Taken from a scene from the Small Passion, Christ Crowned with Thorns shows Christ having just been crowned with his halo of thorns. Extremely symbolic and having lasting influence throughout the Christian tradition, this scene is a precursor to Christ's long journey to the cross. According to Walter L. Strauss, "The Saviour is here pictured in profile. The architectural background underscores the oblong format…Caiaphas and Pilate are pictured on the left. The henchman kneeling before Christ is handing him a sapling from which "another cross may grow" for the future redemption of man from his continued wickedness…The original wood block is in the British Museum in London(368)."
Created in 1612, this woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer Christ Crowned with Thorns (The Small Passions), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 34.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 240 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Meder, Joseph. Dürer-Katalog, Vienna, 1932. Listed as cat. no. 143.
4) Scheller, Robert W. and Boon, Karel G. The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and The Dürer School, Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 143.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 204 on pgs. 315-6.
6) Strauss, Walter L. Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, Abaris Books, Inc.: New York, 1980. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 119.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Albrecht Durer Christ Crowned with Thorns (The Small Passions), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.