|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||The Flagellation (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.33; K.233; M.142; H.142; Str.118|
|Image Size:||5 in x 3 3/4 in (12.7 cm x 9.5 cm)|
|Sheet Size:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed Size:||22 in x 21 in (55.9 cm x 53.3 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower center.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
|Gallery Price:||Price on Request Submit Best Offer Inquire Quickest way is to call us at 510-777-9970|
With this image, Dürer creates a strong sense of tension. He conveys this tension through the intense working of the plate and the representation of motion that pervades the piece. Christ's aggressors are depicted with well articulated muscles, lending a sense of vigor and brutality to the image. In juxtaposition to the tension depicted in the piece, Christ appears serene and reserved, unaffected by his current circumstances. Though physically harmed, Christ appears as though barely feeling the pain, perhaps finding a peaceful, meditative state in which to numb himself from the brutality of the outside world.
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower center. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer The Flagellation (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 33.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 239 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Meder, Joseph. Dürer-Katalog, Vienna, 1932. Listed as cat. no. 142.
4) Scheller, Robert W. and Boon, Karel G. The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and The Dürer School, Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 142.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 203 on pgs. 313-314.
6) Strauss, Walter L. Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, Abaris Books, Inc.: New York, 1980. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 118.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
ABOUT THE FRAMING:
Albrecht Durer The Flagellation (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.