Albrecht Dürer, The Lamentation (The Small Passion), 1612
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||The Lamentation (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.43; K. 249; M.152; Str.127|
|Image:||5 in x 3 13/16 in (12.7 cm x 9.7 cm)|
|Sheet:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed:||22 in x 20 3/4 in (55.9 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower center.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
Walter L. Strauss states of this work:
As in the engraving, which bears the date of 1507, the scene occurs beneath the Cross…Dürer has seemingly used elements from several drawings in his reference file, some dating back a number of years: the Magdalene, bent forward, with her ointment jar, kissing the Saviour's feet…the drawn up legs of Christ from 'The Dead Christ', dated 1505; the holy woman in the background has her arms raised in despair like the man in the background of the engraving 'The Sea Monster'. Wölfflin considers this version 'the most expressive and succinct one; not only the head, but also the arms and legs speak.' Dürer has, in this instance, employed foreshortening in the woodcut that, as a rule, is the hallmark of 'The Engraved Passion' (384).
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower center. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer The Lamentation (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 43.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 249 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Meder, Joseph, Dürer-Katalog, 1932. Listed and illustrated as cat no 152.
4) Scheller, Robert W. and Karel G. Boon, The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer Hans Dürer and the Dürer School, 1971, Listed as cat no 152.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 213.
6) Strauss, Walter L., Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, 1980. Listed as cat no 127.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Albrecht Durer The Lamentation (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.