Albrecht Dürer, The Nailing to the Cross (The Small Passion), 1612
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||The Nailing to the Cross (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.39; K. 245; M.148; Str.123|
|Image:||4 15/16 in x 3 3/4 in (12.5 cm x 9.5 cm)|
|Sheet:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed:||22 in x 20 3/4 in (55.9 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower right.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
Price on Request
Depicting the brutal instance in which Christ is physically nailed to the cross, this emotional work clearly conveys the unjust torture that Christ underwent for the greater good. Onlookers gaze on with mixed emotions, some smirking with pleasure while others, such as the woman in the background, pray and mourn in great sorrow. Strauss states of this work, "The henchman in the foreground is brutally driving a nail into Christ's hand. His other arm, yet to be fastened to the Cross, serves to heighten the expression of pain as it clutches his hip. The complicated terrain and the grouping of the onlookers have led some commentators to suggest that this is one of the earlier sheets in order of execution' (Strauss pg. 376).
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower right. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer The Nailing to the Cross (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 39.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 245 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Meder, Joseph, Dürer-Katalog, 1932. Listed and illustrated as cat no 148.
4) Scheller, Robert W. and Karel G. Boon, The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer Hans Dürer and the Dürer School, 1971, Listed as cat no 148.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 209.
6) Strauss, Walter L., Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, 1980. Listed as cat no 123.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Albrecht Durer The Nailing to the Cross (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.