Albrecht Dürer, The Ascension (The Small Passion), 1612
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||The Ascension (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B. 50, K. 256, M.159, Str. 134|
|Image:||4 7/8 in x 4 in (12.4 cm x 10.2 cm)|
|Sheet:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed:||22 in x 20 3/4 in (55.9 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
USD $7,000 GBP £5,250
Composed of complex line work and detailed value transitions, this work depicts Dürer's technical mastery and skill in his figurative studies. The volumetric quality of this work is created through detailed hatched lines which overlap each other in varied degrees to create lighter and darker values. Depicting the figures down to the finest detail, intricate details are found in the folds of the fabric, the feet of the figure in the lower right, and in the hair of many of the figures. The intensity of feeling found in the faces of the figures expresses Dürer's style in its full maturity.
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
CATALOGUE RAISONNÉ & COA:
Albrecht Durer The Ascension (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 50.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 256 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Meder, Joseph, Dürer-Katalog, 1932. Listed and illustrated as cat no 159.
4) Scheller, Robert W. and Karel G. Boon, The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer Hans Dürer and the Dürer School, 1971, Listed as cat no 159.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 220.
6) Strauss, Walter L., Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, 1980. Listed as cat no 134.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Albrecht Durer The Ascension (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.