|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Madonna Queen of Angels (The Virgin Surrounded by Many Angels) 1518|
|Reference:||B101, M. 211|
|Image Size:||11 11/16 in x 8 3/8 in (29.6 cm x 21.3 cm)|
|Sheet Size:||11 3/4 in x 8 1/2 in (29.8 cm x 21.6 cm)|
|Framed Size:||approx. 29 3/4 in x 26 in (75.6 cm x 66 cm)|
|Edition:||A state II Meder (d) of (g) impression on a fine laid paper with the Fleur de Lis watermark (M 122) dating this work to c. late 1500s.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed and dated by Albrecht Dürer (Nuremburg, 1471- Nuremburg, 1528) in the woodblock 'AD 1518' in the lower left.|
|Condition:||This work is generally in good condition. This vintage 16th century work with slight wear characteristic to works of this age not affecting the overall image is trimmed to the borderline.|
|Gallery Price:||Please call us 510-777-9970 for availability.|
Perhaps one of Dürer’s most powerful and touching scenes, the Virgin Mary is cradling Christ in her arms while angels surround her. All attention is focused on her, and Dürer beautifully creates the details in the composition to pull the viewer towards her, but he misses nothing in the background making for a truly stunning piece.
Created in 1518, this woodcut is monogrammed and dated by Albrecht Dürer (Nuremburg, 1471- Nuremburg, 1528) in the woodblock 'AD 1518' in the lower left. A state II Meder (d) of (g) impression, this work is printed on a fine laid paper with the Fleur de Lis watermark (M 122) dating this work to c. late 1500s.
The Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
This work is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1. Bartsch. The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. New York: Abaris Books, 1981.Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 101.
2. Kurth, W. Dr. The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer. New York: Dover Publications, Inc.,1963. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 307.
3. Meder, J. Dürer-Katalog. Wien: Verlag Gilhoffer & Ranschburg, 1932. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 211.
4. Pawlak, M. Albrecht Dürer: 1471 bis 1528, Das gesamte Graphische Werk, Druckgraphik, Band II. München, Verlag Rogner & Bernhard GMBH. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 1722.
5. Scheller, R. W. and Boon, K. G. The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and the Dürer School. Amsterdam: Vengendt & Co, 1971.Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 211.
6. Schoch, R. Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. München: Prestel Verlag, 2002. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 248.
7. Strauss, W. L. Albrecht Dürer, Woodcuts and Wood Blocks. New York: Abaris Books, 1980. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no.189. Fleur de Lis watermark listed and illustrated as M. 122 on page 705.
8. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
ABOUT THE FRAMING:
This work is framed to museum-grade, conservation standards, presented in a complementary moulding and finished with linen-wrapped mats and optical grade Plexiglas.