Albrecht Dürer, The Nativity of Christ - The Adoration of the Shepherds (The Small Passion), 1612
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||The Nativity of Christ - The Adoration of the Shepherds (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.20; K.226; M.129; Str. 140|
|Image:||5 in x 3 13/16 in (12.7 cm x 9.7cm)|
|Sheet:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed:||21 4/5 in x 20 3/4 in (55.4 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower right.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
This work from Dürer's Small Passion series stands apart from the rest as one which utilizes a fantastic play on perspective. The central scene is embedded into the background of the composition; in the foreground, we can see Dürer augment the beams of the flooring to connote depth and spatial arrangement.
According to Walter Strauss, Dürer "offers another innovation: the perspective image is from below. Two shepherds, one with bagpipes, are kneeling before the Infant Christ; a third is receiving the glad tidings from an angel in the background" (p. 410).
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower right. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer The Nativity of Christ - The Adoration of the Shepherds (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1. Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonne no. 20.
2. Kurth, Willi. The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer. Dover Publications, Inc.: New York, 1963. Listed and illustrated as cat. no. 226 and discussed on pg. 30.
3. Meder, Joseph. Dürer-Katalog. Verlag Gilhofer & Ranschburg: Vienna, 1932. Listed and illustrated as cat. no. 129 on p. 134.
4. Scheller, R. & Boon, K. (1971). The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and The Dürer School. Vangendt & Co.: Amsterdam. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 129.
5. Schoch, R. et. Al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer, Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II: Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Prestel: München. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 190 on pg. 293-4.
6. Strauss, Walter L., ed. Albrecht Dürer, Woodcuts and Woodblocks. New York, 1980. Listed and illustrated as cat. no. 140 on pg. 410-1.
7. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Albrecht Durer The Nativity of Christ - The Adoration of the Shepherds (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.