Albrecht Dürer, The Virgin Worshipped by Angels and Saints, from the Life of the Virgin c. 1504
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||The Virgin Worshipped by Angels and Saints, from the Life of the Virgin, c. 1500|
|Medium:||Woodcut on Laid Paper|
|Image:||8 1/4 in x 11 5/8 in (20.9 cm x 29.5 cm)|
|Sheet:||18 in x 14 in (45.7 cm x 35.5 cm)|
|Edition:||From the Meder edition of 1511; printed on fine laid paper with the Flower with Triangle watermark (M. 127, B. 1685), dating the piece to c. 1471-1524.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower center.|
|Condition:||This work is in excellent condition.|
Price on Request
Created in c. 1504, this stunning woodcut features the signature monogram of Albrecht Dürer (Nuremburg, 1471 - Nuremburg, 1528) in the lower center of the image. This work has also been dated to c. 1471-1524 by the Flower with Triangle watermark (M. 127, B. 1685) within the fine, laid paper on which this woodcut has been printed. This piece is from the Meder edition of 1511 with the Latin text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer The Virgin Worshipped by Angels and Saints, from the Life of the Virgin, c. 1504 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1. Bartsch. The Illustrated Bartsch, Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. New York: Abaris Books, 1981. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 77 (131) on pg. 172.
2. Kurth, Willi. The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer. New York: Crown Publishers, 1946. Listed as catalogue raisonné no. 175 on pgs. 27-28.
3. Meder, Joseph. Dürer-Katalog. Wien: Verlag Gilhofer and Ranschburg, 1932. Listed as catalogue raisonné no. 189 on pgs. 168-169.
4. Pawlak, Manfred. Albrecht Dürer: 1471 bis 1528, Das gesamte Graphische Werk, Druckgraphik, Band II. Herrsching: Verlagsgesellschaft mbH, 1990. Listed and illustrated as plate no. 1552 and 1553.
5. Scheller, Robert and Karel Boon. The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and the Dürer School. Amsterdam: Van Gendt & Co., 1971. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 189. (Not included with paperwork since Masterworks Fine Art does not own this catalogue.)
6. Schoch, Rainer et. al. Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. München: Prestel, 2002. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 167 on pgs. 226-228.
7. Strauss, Walter L. Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks. New York: Abaris Books, 1980. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 94 on pgs. 312-13. Flower with Triangle watermark listed on pg. 706.
8. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Albrecht Durer The Virgin Worshipped by Angels and Saints, from the Life of the Virgin, c. 1504 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding and optical grade Plexiglas.