|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Christ Before Annas (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.28; K.234; M.137; H.137; Str.113|
|Image Size:||5 in x 3 13/16 in (12.7 cm x 9.7 cm)|
|Sheet Size:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed Size:||22 in x 21 in (55.9 cm x 53.3 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower right.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
|Gallery Price:||$7,000 Purchase Now Submit Best Offer Inquire Quickest way is to call us at 510-777-9970|
Through his composition, Durer creates a carefully orchestrated image that focuses our attention upon the bound hands and down-turned head of Christ. We sympathize with his plight, as he is roughly thrown before Annas. Of this print, Walter L. Strauss states: "This subject is unique to 'The Small Passion.' It is not included in Durer's other Passion series. Only the gospel according to St. John mentions that Christ, after having been taken captive, was taken first to Annas, who then sent him, bound, to his son-in-law, the High Priest Caiaphas (John 18:13, 24).
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower right. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer Christ Before Annas (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 27.
2) Kurth, W. (1963). The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer. Dover Publications, Inc.: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 234 and discussed on page 30 - 31.
3) Meder, J. (1932). Dürer-Katalog. Verlag Gilhofer & Ranschburg: Wien. Listed as catalogue raisonné no. 137 on pg. 138.
4) Scheller, R. W. & Boon, K. G. (1971). The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and The Dürer School. Vangendt & Co.: Amsterdam. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 137.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 198 on pgs. 305-6.
6) Strauss, W. L. (1980). Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Woodblocks. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 113 on page 356.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
ABOUT THE FRAMING:
Albrecht Durer Christ Before Annas (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.