Albrecht Dürer, The Adoration of the Shepherds (Nativity) (The Life of the Virgin), c. 1503
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||The Adoration of the Shepherds (Nativity) (The Life of the Virgin), c. 1503|
|Reference:||B. 85; M. 197|
|Image:||11 11/16 in x 8 1/4 in (29.6 cm x 20.9 cm)|
|Sheet:||11 15/16 in x 8 3/8 in (30.3 cm x 21.3 cm)|
|Framed:||approx. 29 1/2 in x 26 in (74.9 cm x 66 cm)|
|Edition:||A Meder (c) of (g) after the 1511 Latin text edition, dating this work to c. 1590.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed by Albrecht Dürer (Nuremburg, 1471 - Nuremburg, 1528) in the woodblock ‘AD’ on a brick in the lower center of the image.|
|Condition:||This work is generally in good condition. This vintage 16th century impression mounted on board is slightly toned with minor stains due to age and wear characteristic to works of this age not affecting the overall image.|
Price on Request
This work from Dürer's “Life of the Virgin” series stands apart from the rest as one that utilizes a fantastic play on perspective. The central scene is embedded into the background of the composition and in the foreground we can see Dürer augment the upper beams of the ceiling to connote depth and spatial arrangement. Meanwhile the angels in the upper corner are expertly positioned in various angles to denote contrast and movement.
Created in c. 1503, this woodcut monogrammed by Albrecht Dürer (Nuremburg, 1471 - Nuremburg, 1528) in the woodblock ‘AD’ on a brick in the lower center of the image is a Meder (c) of (g) after the 1511 Latin text edition, dating this work to c. 1590.
The Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
This work is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1. Bartsch. The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. New York: Abaris Books, 1981.Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 85.
2. Kurth, W. Dr. The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer. New York: Dover Publications, Inc.,1963. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 183.
3. Meder, J. Dürer-Katalog. Wien: Verlag Gilhoffer & Ranschburg, 1932. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 197.
4. Pawlak, M. Albrecht Dürer: 1471 bis 1528, Das gesamte Graphische Werk, Druckgraphik, Band II. München, Verlag Rogner & Bernhard GMBH. Listed and illustrated as plate no. 1568.
5. Scheller, R. W. and Boon, K. G. The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and the Dürer School. Amsterdam: Vengendt & Co, 1971.Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 197.
6. Schoch, R. Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. München: Prestel Verlag, 2002. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 175.
7. Strauss, W. L. Albrecht Dürer, Woodcuts and Wood Blocks. New York: Abaris Books, 1980. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 75.
8. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
ABOUT THE FRAMING:
This work is framed to museum-grade, conservation standards, presented in a complementary moulding and finished with linen-wrapped mats and optical grade Plexiglas.