|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||The Mocking of Christ (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.30; K.216; M.139; H.139; Str.115|
|Image Size:||5 in x 3 7/8 in (12.7 cm x 9.8 cm)|
|Sheet Size:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed Size:||22 in x 20 3/4 in (55.9 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
|Gallery Price:||$8,000 Purchase Now Submit Best Offer Inquire Quickest way is to call us at 510-777-9970|
Based on the scripture from the Christian bible, "And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, 'Prophesy.' And the guards did strike him with the palms of their hands" (Mark 14:65). Central to the composition is Christ, who is both literally and symbolically worn down; his posture connotes a sense of defeat and lack of energy, while his gripped fingers on his knees give way to his inner turmoil. The figures that surround him are situated evenly across the composition, as Dürer pays close attention to the architectural space of this scene, with arched doorways that extend into the background and along the left side. According to W. Strauss (1980), "Christ is shown in the center, blindfolded, a detail mentioned only in the Gospel according to St. Mark. The henchman in the upper right is about to smite the Saviour, whereas the one below him has raised his right fist in a derisive gesture" (360).
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer The Mocking of Christ (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 30.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 236 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Lugt, Frits. Les Marques de Collections de Dessins & d'Estampes. San Francisco, 1988. Signature stamps listed and illustrated as catalogue numbers 623 and 1109.
4) Meder, Joseph. Dürer-Katalog, Vienna, 1932. Listed as cat. no. 139 on pg. 139.
5) Scheller, Robert W. and Boon, Karel G. The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and The Dürer School, Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 139 on pg. 112 and 121.
6) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 200 on pgs. 308-309.
7) Strauss, Walter L. Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, Abaris Books, Inc.: New York, 1980. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 115 on pgs. 360-1.
8) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
ABOUT THE FRAMING:
Albrecht Durer The Mocking of Christ (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.