Albrecht Dürer, The Last Supper (The Large Passion), 1510
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||The Last Supper (The Large Passion), 1510|
|Reference:||B. 5; K.215; M. 114; Str.148|
|Edition:||A Meder (f) of (g), Augsburg edition of 1675 impression; printed on fine laid paper with the Crest of Augsburg Watermark (M 178, not in Briquet).|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed and dated in woodblock ‘AD 1510’ on the central leg of the table.|
Albrecht Dürer The Last Supper (The Large Passion), 1510; In this spectacular work, Dürer creates a fascinating rendition of The Last Supper, belonging to the series of The Large Passion. Each character and disciple is meticulously detailed, showing vibrant movement and expressions full of thought and contemplation. Adding to the pieces magnificence are skillful plays on optical illusion as shown through precisely executed aspects of foreshortening, depth, and volume within the composition. According to Strauss, “The artist has overcome the problem of the narrow, vertical format in a novel manner. While taking liberty with the perspective, the vaulted ceiling, trimmed off on the sides, serves to create an optical illusion, widening the chamber… Dürer has purposely arranged the grouping in a manner as to allow an unobstructed view of the center figure.”
Created in 1510, this work is monogrammed and dated in woodblock ‘AD 1510’ on the central leg of the table. A Meder (f) of (g), Augsburg edition of 1675 impression; printed on fine laid paper with the Crest of Augsburg Watermark (M 178, not in Briquet).
Documentation and COA:
Albrecht Dürer The Last Supper (The Large Passion), 1510 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoice that will accompany the final sale of the work):
1. Bartsch. The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. New York: Abaris Books, 1981.Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 5.
2. Kurth, W. Dr. The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer. New York: Dover Publications, Inc.,1963. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonne no. 215.
3. Meder, J. Dürer-Katalog. Wien: Verlag Gilhoffer & Ranschburg, 1932. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonne. no. 114.
4. Pawlak, Manfred. Albrecht Dürer: 1471 bis 1528, Das gesamte Graphische Werk, Druckgraphik, Band II. Page 1526.
5. Scheller, Robert W. and Boon, Karel G. The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and the Dürer School, 1971. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 114.
6. Schoch, R. Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. München: Prestel Verlag, 2002. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonne no. 155 .
7. Strauss, W. L. Albrecht Dürer, Woodcuts and Wood Blocks. New York: Abaris Books, 1980. Listed as plate 148. Watermark listed and illustrated as M. 178, not in Briquet, on page 698.
8. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the framing:
Albrecht Dürer The Last Supper (The Large Passion), 1510 is framed to museum-grade, conservation standards, presented in a complementary moulding and finished with linen-wrapped mats and optical grade Plexiglas.