Albrecht Dürer, Christ Before Pilate (The Small Passion), 1612
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Christ Before Pilate (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.31; K.237; M.140; H.140; Str.116|
|Image:||5 in x 3 13/16 in (12.7 cm x 9.7 cm)|
|Sheet:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed:||22 in x 20 3/4 in (55.9 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower center.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
Intricate and expressive, Christ Before Pilate exemplifies Dürer's mastery of the woodcut medium. With his intriguing use of perspective, Dürer guides our eye from Christ at the left, up the stairway to Pilate. Of this work Walter L. Strauss states, "The complicated architecture, the schematic presentation, and especially the disproportionate size of the figures set this sheet apart from most others of the series. Compositionally and in its brightness, it comes closest to "The Nativity". Some scholars believe that this print may be one of the earliest of "The Small Passion" (Strauss, 362).
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower center. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer Christ Before Pilate (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 31.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 237 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Meder, Joseph. Dürer-Katalog, Vienna, 1932. Listed as cat. no. 140.
4) Scheller, Robert W. and Boon, Karel G. The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and The Dürer School, Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 140.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 201 on pgs. 310-311.
6) Strauss, Walter L. Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, Abaris Books, Inc.: New York, 1980. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 116.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Albrecht Durer Christ Before Pilate (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.