|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Salome Presenting the Head of John the Baptist to Herodias|
|Image Size:||7 1/2 in x 5 in (19.05 cm x 12.7 cm)|
|Sheet Size:||7 1/2 in x 5 in (19.05 cm x 12.7 cm)|
|Framed Size:||23 in x 21 1/4 in (58.42 cm x 53.98 cm)|
|Edition:||Possibly a lifetime impression, this work is a Meder b (of g) impression dating this piece to c.1525.|
|Signature:||Featuring the signature monogram of Albrecht Dürer (Nuremburg, 1471 - Nuremburg, 1528) in the lower left of the image: '1511 | AD.'|
|Condition:||In good condition, a bold, crisp impression.|
|Gallery Price:||Price on Request Submit Best Offer Inquire Quickest way is to call us at 510-777-9970|
This tragic and harrowing scene is best portrayed by Albrecht Dürer's innovation and mastery of the woodcut. His attention to detail is best seen through the expression and torment to be found in our characters' faces as the fate of John the Baptist is brought before them.
According to W. Strauss (1980), "But on Herod's birthday, the daughter of Herodias danced before them and pleased Herod. Whereupon he promised her whatsoever she would ask. And she, having been beforehand instructed by her mother, said, 'Give me here the head of John the Baptist on a platter.' And the king was sorry; nevertheless, for the oath's sake, and them who sat dining with him, he commanded it to be given to her. And he had John beheaded in the prison" (p. 442).
Printed c. 1525, this work is a Meder b (of g) impression, possibly a lifetime impression. This piece features the signature monogram of Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528) in the lower left of the image: '1511 | AD.'
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
This work is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices that will accompany the final sale of the work).
1) Barlow, T.D. Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1948. Illustrated as plate no. 83.
2) Kurth, Willi Dr. The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1946. Listed as plate 260.
3) Meder, Joseph. Dürer-Katalog, 1932. Listed as cat. no. 232 on pg. 193.
4) Pawlak, Manfred. Albrecht Dürer: 1471 bis 1528, Das gesamte Graphische Werk, Druckgraphik, Band II. Listed and illustrated as plate no. 1729.
5) Scheller, Robert W. and Boon, Karel G. The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and the Dürer School, 1971. Listed as plate 232 on page 187.
6) Schoch, Rainer et al. Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen, Munich 2002. Listed and illustrated as cat. no. 153 on pg. 174.
7) Strauss, Walter L. Albrecht Dürer, Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, 1980. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 154 on pgs. 442-3
8) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.