|Artist||Marc Chagall (1887 - 1985)|
|Title||Fleur Des Champs (Flowers of The Fields), 1980|
|Image Size||19 11/16 in x 14 15/16 in (50 cm x 38 cm)|
|Sheet Size||25 5/8 in x 18 7/16 in (60.1 cm x 46.8 cm)|
|Framed Size||39 1/2 in x 34 1/8 in (100.3 cm x 86.7 cm)|
|Edition||Numbered from the edition of 50 in pencil in the lower left margin.|
|Signature||This work is hand-signed by Marc Chagall (Vitebsk, 1887 - Saint-Paul, 1985) in pencil in the lower right margin.|
|Condition||This work is in excellent condition.|
Chagall Fleurs des Champs (Flower of the Fields), 1980 reveals the inner workings of Chagall’s extraordinary life through a powerful visual image of a delicate bouquet of flowers. Presumably picked from a field by the entwined lovers, pink and green hues dance along the outline of the petals and stems. Magically set in a night time setting, a solo light emerges in the top left corner, illuminating the scene below. Dream-like in its appearance, Fleur des Champs embodies an abstract narrative of love reborn through the reaping of lush and fruitful flowers. Combining all of his iconic motifs into one frame, Chagall romantically paints love that is symbolic to his own grand memories and undying love for his late wife, Bella who had passed away forty years earlier.
Created in 1980, this color lithograph is hand-signed in pencil by Marc Chagall (Vitebsk, 1887 - Saint-Paul, 1985) in the lower right margin. This work is numbered from the edition of 50 in the lower left margin.
1. Gallery de Medici, Inc., San Francisco, California
2. Private Collection, San Francisco, California
3. Private Collection, San Jose, California
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Marc Chagall Flowers of the Fields (Fleur des Champs), 1980 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoice accompanying the final sale of the work).
1. Gauss, Ulrike, ed., Marc Chagall: The Lithographs, La Collection Sorlier. New York: Distributed Art Publishers, 1998. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 960.
2. Mourlot, Fernand & Sorlier, C.,The Lithographs of Chagall, Vol. VI 1980 – 1985. New York: Crown Publishers, Inc,1986. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 960.
3. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Marc Chagall Flowers of the Fields (Fleur des Champs), 1980 is framed to museum-grade, conservation standards, presented in a complementary moulding and finished with silk-wrapped mats and optical grade Plexiglas.