|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||The Flight into Egypt (The Life of the Virgin), c. 1503|
|Reference:||B. 89, M. 201|
|Image Size:||11 3/4 in x 8 7/16 in (29.8 cm x 21.4 cm)|
|Sheet Size:||12 1/8 in x 8 3/4 in (30.8 cm x 22.2 cm)|
|Framed Size:||approx. 29 3/4 in x 26 in (75.6 cm x 66 cm)|
|Edition:||A Meder f of (f) after the Latin edition of 1511, dating this work to c. 1600.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed by Albrecht Dürer (Nuremburg, 1471 - Nuremburg, 1528) in the woodblock ‘AD’ on a slate in the lower left of the image.|
|Condition:||This work is generally in good condition. This vintage 16th century impression mounted on board has minor stains and toning due to age and wear characteristic to works of this age not affecting the overall image.|
|Gallery Price:||Sold Inquire|
One of Dürer’s more famous woodcuts, Strauss comments that "the most remarkable aspect of this print is its setting. . . . Durer has here achieved unprecedented 3-dimensionality." This is present in the beautiful details contrasting the foreground and background that allows us as the viewer to take in the whole scene.
Created in c. 1503, this woodcut monogrammed by Albrecht Dürer (Nuremburg, 1471 - Nuremburg, 1528) in the woodblock ‘AD’ on a slate in the lower left of the image is a Meder f of (f) after the Latin edition of 1511, dating this work to c. 1600.
The Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Dürer The Flight into Egypt (The Life of the Virgin), c. 1503 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1. Bartsch. The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. New York: Abaris Books, 1981.Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 89.
2. Kurth, W. Dr. The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer. New York: Dover Publications, Inc.,1963. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 187.
3. Meder, J. Dürer-Katalog. Wien: Verlag Gilhoffer & Ranschburg, 1932. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 201.
4. Pawlak, M. Albrecht Dürer: 1471 bis 1528, Das gesamte Graphische Werk, Druckgraphik, Band II. München, Verlag Rogner & Bernhard GMBH. Listed and illustrated as plate no. 1576.
5. Scheller, R. W. and Boon, K. G. The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and the Dürer School. Amsterdam: Vengendt & Co, 1971.Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 201.
6. Schoch, R. Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. München: Prestel Verlag, 2002. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 179.
7. Strauss, W. L. Albrecht Dürer, Woodcuts and Wood Blocks. New York: Abaris Books, 1980. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 92.
8. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
ABOUT THE FRAMING:
Albrecht Dürer The Flight into Egypt (The Life of the Virgin), c. 1503 is framed to museum-grade, conservation standards, presented in a complementary moulding and finished with linen-wrapped mats and optical grade Plexiglas.