Rembrandt, The Raising of Lazarus, c. 1632
|Artist:||Rembrandt (1606 - 1669)|
|Title:||The Raising of Lazarus, c. 1632|
|Medium:||Original Etching Signed in the plate|
|Image:||14 1/2 in x 10 1/8 in (36.8 cm x 25.7 cm)|
|Sheet:||14 5/8 in x 10 1/8 in (37.2 cm x 25.7 cm)|
|Framed:||33 in x 28 1/2 in (83.8 cm x 72.4 cm)|
|Edition:||Nowell-Usticke State VIII (of X)|
|Signature:||Signed by Harmensz van Rijn Rembrandt (Leiden, 1606 - Amsterdam, 1669) in the plate in the center, 'RHL van Ryn f.'|
|Condition:||A superb, rich impression; some minor expert conservation to the center right of the image near the man drawing back from the grave.|
Following the Biblical tale from the New Testament, Rembrandt The Raising of Lazarus, c. 1632 dramatically captures the moment in which Lazarus rises from the grave. Rembrandt utilizes light and shadow to highlight Lazarus' resurrection, illuminating Lazarus' grave with a stream of white light. However, the centrally located Christ, shrouded partially in shadow, remains the focal point of the composition. Christ appears as a massive figure worthy of awe and admiration. He turns his back to the viewer, denying a clear view of his face, and raises his hand in a gesture of holiness as the surrounding figures draw back and open their eyes in wonderment and disbelief at the miraculous sight before them.
Created in c.1632, this original etching is signed in the plate by Harmensz van Rijn Rembrandt (Leiden, 1606 - Amsterda, 1669), 'RHL van Ryn f.' According to Nowell-Usticke, a VIII (of X) impression.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Rembrandt The Raising of Lazarus, c. 1632 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices that will accompany the sale of the work).
1. Bartsch. The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 50. Edited by Stephanie S. Dickey. New York: Abaris Books, 1981. Illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 73 (another example illustrated) on page 59.
2. Hind, Arthur. A Catalogue of Rembrandt's Etchings. New York, 1967. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 96.
3. M?nz, Ludwig. Rembrandt's Etchings: Reproductions of the Whole Original Etched Work, Vol. 1. London: Phaidon Press, 1952. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 214 and 215 (another example illustrated).
4. M?nz, Ludwig. Rembrandt's Etchings: Reproductions of the Whole Original Etched Work, Vol.2. London: Phaidon Press, 1952. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no.192 on pg. 92.
5. Nowell-Usticke, G.W. Rembrandt's Etchings. Narberth, 1988. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 73.
6. Schwartz, Gary. Rembrandt: All the etchings reproduced in true size. New York, 1977. Listed and illustrated as B 73.
7. White, Christopher & Karel Boon. Rembrandt's Etchings, Vol. I: Text. Amsterdam, 1969. Listed as catalogue raisonné no. B.73 on pg. 38-39.
8. White, Christopher & Karel Boon. Rembrandt's Etchings, Vol. II: Plates. Amsterdam, 1969. Illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. B.73 on pg. 60-63.
About the Framing:
Rembrandt The Raising of Lazarus, c. 1632 is framed to museum-grade, conservation standards, presented in a complementary moulding and finished with linen-wrapped mats and optical grade Plexiglas.