Rembrandt, Saint Peter and Saint John Healing the Cripple at the Gate of the Temple, 1659
|Artist:||Rembrandt (1606 - 1669)|
|Title:||Saint Peter and Saint John Healing the Cripple at the Gate of the Temple, 1659|
|Image:||8 1/8 in x 7 1/16 in (20.6 cm x 17.9 cm)|
|Sheet:||8 5/8 in x 7 1/8 in (21.9 cm x 18 cm)|
|Framed:||18 3/8 in x 17 in (46.6 cm x 43 cm)|
|Signature:||This work is signed and dated in the plate by Harmensz van Rijn Rembrandt (1606-1669), 'Rembrandt f. 1659'.|
|Condition:||This work is in excellent condition.|
Price on Request
A beautiful dark impression, this work narrates the New Testament tale of the two saints healing a cripple at the Temple gate. The faces of Peter and John are finely etched with graceful detail. The piece has a superior sense of artistic balance, most clearly illustrated in the delicate spatial weighting between the Temple structure and sky, and within the figure groupings. Further, Rembrandt has created a beautiful chiaroscuro effect that is set on a parenthetical diagonal between the floor and ceiling arches of the Temple gate.
Created in 1659, this work is a wonderful State IV (of VI) Nowell-Usticke; Hind State III (of IV); Biörklund State IV (of IV); Boon & White State IV (of IV). Nowell-Usticke lists this work as an uncommon etching with approximately 125-225 known impressions (Usticke 12, B 164). This work is signed and dated in the plate by Rembrandt, 'Rembrandt f. 1659', and documented as B. 94, H. 301, BB. 59-A, B&W. 94; an 18th century impression.
Documented and Illustrated in:
1. Bartsch. The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 50. Edited by Stephanie S. Dickey. New York: Abaris Books, 1981. Illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 94 on page 80.
2. Biörklund, George, Rembrandt's Etchings: True and False, 1968. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. BB. 59-A on pg. 132.
3. Hind, Arthur. A Catalogue of Rembrandt's Etchings. New York, 1967. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 301 with details on pg. 119.
4. Munz, Ludwig. Rembrandt's Etchings: Reproductions of the Whole Original Etched Work, Vol. 1. London: Phaidon Press, 1952. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 276 (another example illustrated).
5. Munz, Ludwig. Rembrandt's Etchings: Reproductions of the Whole Original Etched Work, Vol.2. London: Phaidon Press, 1952. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no.239 on pg. 109.
6. Nowell-Usticke, G.W. Rembrandt's Etchings. Narberth, 1988. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 94.
7. White, Christopher & Karel Boon. Rembrandt's Etchings, Vol. I: Text. Amsterdam, 1969. Listed as catalogue raisonné no. B.94.
8. White, Christopher & Karel Boon. Rembrandt's Etchings, Vol. II: Plates. Amsterdam, 1969. Illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. B.94.
About the Framing:
Conservation framed with archival materials and museum quality, this work is float mounted in an ornate Spanish style black and gold frame. The intricately sculpted moulding with robust undulating forms compliments the linear quality of this work. Completed with white linen wrapped mattes and a matching gold inner fillet, this work is set behind an archival Plexiglas.