Marc Chagall, Paysage au coq (Landscape with Rooster), 1958
|Artist:||Marc Chagall (1887 - 1985)|
|Title:||Paysage au coq (Landscape with Rooster), 1958|
|Medium:||Color Lithograph on Arches Wove Paper|
|Edition:||Numbered from the edition of 100 in pencil in the lower left margin.|
|Signature:||This work is hand signed by Marc Chagall (Vitebsk, 1887 - Saint-Paul, 1985) in pencil in the lower right margin.|
Deep, rich blue hues draw the viewer’s eyes to the surreal scene unfolding in Marc Chagall Paysage au coq (Landscape with Rooster), 1958. Because Chagall is highly regarded for his use of vibrant colors and mythical symbols, it is unsurprising that the figures making up this piece include a robust and confident rooster. Widely known as a symbol of fertility and prosperity, the rooster stands on top of a nude female figure, emphasizing her fertility and sexuality. The nighttime landscape appears to be on the verge of day break, as the contrasting blue makes for a harmonious outdoor nature scene with trees, a fish and the figures bathed in pale moonlight. Hues of red, yellow, green and white throughout the work contrast beautifully against the dominant blues. Chagall creates a viewing experience akin to visual poetry.
Created in 1958, this color lithograph on Arches wove paper is published by Maeght Paris. Hand signed by Marc Chagall (Vitebsk, 1887 - Saint-Paul, 1985) in pencil in the lower right margin and annotated “épreuve d’artiste” (artist’s proof); aside from the numbered edition of 100 in pencil in the lower left margin.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Marc Chagall Landscape with Rooster (Paysage au coq), 1958 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices that will accompany the sale of the work)
1. Cramer, Patrick. Marc Chagall, The Illustrated Books: Catalogue Raisonné, Patrick Cramer: Geneva, 1995. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 36
2. Gauss, Ulrike, ed. Marc Chagall - The Lithographs, La Collection Sorlier. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 208
3. Mourlot, Fernand. The Lithographs of Chagall, 1957 - 1962, André Sauret: Monte Carlo, 1963. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 208.
4. Maeght Editeur 1958. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné 143.
5. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this artwork.
About the Framing:
Marc Chagall Landscape with Rooster (Paysage au coq), 1958 is is framed to museum-grade, conservation standards, presented in a complementary moulding and finished with linen-wrapped mats and optical grade Plexiglas.