Albrecht Dürer, The Resurrection (The Small Passion), 1612
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||The Resurrection (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.45; K. 251; M.154; Str.129|
|Image:||5 in x 3 13/16 in (12.7 cm x 9.7 cm)|
|Sheet:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed:||22 in x 20 3/4 in (55.9 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower right.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
Illustrating Christ standing in a moment of immense splendor, the details of this work are created with intricate linear elements and numerous value transitions. The volumetric quality and depth of this work is amplified by the use of overlapping forms and strong contrast. With the three guards at his feet thrown back in awe, the holy women in the far left background are grouped together and stand in a pool of sunlight. Dürer has left little space unoccupied in this scene, showing his mastery of skill and technique in an intimate format.
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower right. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
This work is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 45.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 251 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Meder, Joseph, Dürer-Katalog, 1932. Listed and illustrated as cat no 154.
4) Scheller, Robert W. and Karel G. Boon, The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer Hans Dürer and the Dürer School, 1971, Listed as cat no 154.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 215.
6) Strauss, Walter L., Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, 1980. Listed as cat no 129.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
ABOUT THE FRAMING:
Museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.