|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||The Annunciation (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B. 19; K. 225; M.128; H. 128|
|Image Size:||5 in x 3 3/4 in (12.7 cm x 9.5 cm)|
|Sheet Size:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed Size:||22 1/4 in x 21 in (56.5 cm x 53.3 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the upper right.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
|Gallery Price:||$9,500 Purchase Now Submit Best Offer Inquire Quickest way is to call us at 510-777-9970|
According to Strauss, "Dürer has not only solved very successfully the problems of spatial perspective, but has here also emphasized the figures to a remarkable extent" (408). The dove, signifying the vehicle through which the immaculate conception was realized, bursts from the heavens above and appears to glide through the sky over the Virgin Mary. Mary is in a gestured, praying pose, and appears as if anticipating the arrival of the angel, who appears at her side. Highly emotional and incredibly poignant, Dürer captures this moment with utter charm and intrigue, making this woodcut into one of his most fascinating works.
Created in 1612, this woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the upper right. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer The Annunciation (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1. Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonne no. 19.
2. Kurth, Willi. The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer. Dover Publications, Inc.: New York, 1963. Listed and illustrated as cat. no. 225 and detailed on p. 30-1.
3. Meder, Joseph. Dürer-Katalog. Verlag Gilhofer & Ranschburg: Vienna, 1932. Listed and illustrated as cat. no. 129 on p. 134.
4. Scheller, R. & Boon, K. (1971). The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and The Dürer School. Vangendt & Co.: Amsterdam. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 128 on pg. 116.
5. Schoch, R. et. Al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer, Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II: Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Prestel: München. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 189 on pg. 291-2.
6. Strauss, Walter L., ed. Albrecht Dürer, Woodcuts and Woodblocks. New York, 1980. Listed and illustrated as cat. no. 139 on pp. 408-9.
7. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
ABOUT THE FRAMING:
Albrecht Durer The Annunciation (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.