|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Saints Veronica, Peter, and Paul (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.38; K. 244; M.147; Str.141|
|Image Size:||4 7/8 in x 3 3/4 in (12.4 cm x 9.5 cm)|
|Sheet Size:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed Size:||22 in x 20 3/4 in (55.9 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower center.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
|Gallery Price:||Sold. Please call us at 510-777-9970 for similar works.|
Saint Veronica is shown here, accompanied by Christ's holy disciples, Peter and Paul on either side. Before them, they hold Veronica's handkerchief with a miraculous image of Christ's face - according to Christian belief, Veronica was a pious woman who grieved alongside Christ and walked with him as he carried the cross to the city of Golgotha where it was to be placed. She had given him her handkerchief to wipe his brow and in turn, an image of his face had been imprinted on the cloth.
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower center. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Dürer Saints Veronica, Peter, and Paul (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 38.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 244 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Meder, Joseph, Dürer-Katalog, 1932. Listed and illustrated as cat no 147.
4) Scheller, Robert W. and Karel G. Boon, The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer Hans Dürer and the Dürer School, 1971, Listed as cat no 147.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 208.
6) Strauss, Walter L., Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, 1980. Listed as cat no 141.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Dürer Saints Veronica, Peter, and Paul (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.