Albrecht Dürer, Hercules Conquering the Molionide Twins, 1496-1498
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Hercules Conquering the Molionide Twins, 1496-1498|
|Reference:||B. 127, M. 238|
|Image:||15 1/4 in x 11 1/8 in (38.7 cm x 28.3 cm)|
|Sheet:||15 1/2 in x 11 1/4 in (39.4 cm x 28.6 cm)|
|Framed:||approx. 32 in x 27 1/4 in (81.3. cm x 69.2 cm)|
|Edition:||A Meder State III (a) of (c) impression, dating this impression to c. 1580.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed by Albrecht Dürer (Nuremburg, 1471- Nuremburg, 1528) in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower center.|
|Condition:||This work is generally in good condition. This vintage 16th century work has minor creases and stains due to age and wear characteristic to works of this age not affecting the overall image.|
Dürer Hercules Conquering the Molionide Twins was Dürer’s only woodcut of a mythological theme and it confounded scholars for a long time. According to Walter L. Strauss:
According to legend, the bodies of the twin sons of Molione: Eurytsu and Kteatus, were joined and their combined bodily strength exceeded that of any human. Hercules is wearing a boar’s skin because this event occurred before the slaying of the Nemean lion who is shown in the background.
Created in c. 1496-1498, this woodcut is monogrammed by Albrecht Dürer (Nuremburg, 1471- Nuremburg, 1528) in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower center. This work is a Meder State III (a) of (c) impression, dating this impression to c. 1580.
The Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA
CATALOGUE RAISONNÉ & COA:
Albrecht Dürer Hercules Conquering the Molionide Twins, 1496-1498 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoice accompanying the final sale of the work):
1. Bartsch. The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. New York: Abaris Books, 1981. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 127.
2. Kurth, W. Dr. The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer. New York: Dover Publications, Inc.,1963. Listed as catalogue raisonné no. 99.
3. Meder, J. Dürer-Katalog. Wien: Verlag Gilhoffer & Ranschburg, 1932. Listed as catalogue raisonné no. 238.
4. Pawlak, M. Albrecht Dürer: 1471 bis 1528, Das gesamte Graphische Werk, Druckgraphik, Band II. München, Verlag Rogner & Bernhard GMBH. Listed and illustrated as plate no. 1756-7
5. Scheller, R. W. and Boon, K. G. The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and the Dürer School. Amsterdam: Vengendt & Co, 1971. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 238..
6. Schoch, R. Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. München: Prestel Verlag, 2002. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 105.
7. Strauss, W. L. Albrecht Dürer, Woodcuts and Wood Blocks. New York: Abaris Books, 1980. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 32.
8. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
ABOUT THE FRAMING:
Albrecht Dürer Hercules Conquering the Molionide Twins, 1496-1498 is framed to museum-grade, conservation standards, presented in a complementary moulding and finished with linen-wrapped mats and optical grade Plexiglas.