|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Ecce Homo-Christ Presented to the People (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.35; K.241; M.144; Str.120|
|Image Size:||4 7/8 in x 3 3/4 in (12.6 cm x 9.5 cm)|
|Sheet Size:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed Size:||22 in x 20 3/4 in (55.9 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower center.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
|Gallery Price:||$7,000 Purchase Now Submit Best Offer Inquire Quickest way is to call us at 510-777-9970|
The figure of Christ stands at a window looking out toward the crowd gathered outside. Dürer depicts the figures in various poses and with various expressions, as some reach out towards Christ while others clench their fists. The artist manages to fit a high amount of detailed information within a small picture plane, giving the viewer a hint of what could be occurring outside the scene placed before us. Walter L. Strauss states of this work, "Dürer included this scene in all of his Passion series. Unlike Lucas van Leyden and Rembrandt, Dürer has had to content himself with a very small format to depict this subject in 'The Small Passion.'…Substantial cross-hatching is here used in an exceptional way to heighten the contrast of the background" (Strauss 370).
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower center. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer Ecce Homo - Christ Presented to the People (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 35.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 241 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Meder, Joseph, Dürer-Katalog, 1932. Listed and illustrated as cat no 144 on pgs 141 and 142.
4) Scheller, Robert W. and Karel G. Boon, The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer Hans Dürer and the Dürer School, 1971, Listed as cat no 144 on pg 124.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as cat no 205 on pgs 316-17.
6) Strauss, Walter L., Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, 1980. Listed as cat no 120 on pgs 370-71.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
ABOUT THE FRAMING:
Albrecht Durer Ecce Homo - Christ Presented to the People (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.