|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Christ Taking Leave of His Mother (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.21; K.227; M.132; B&S. 132; Str. 108|
|Image Size:||5 1/16 in x 3 7/8 in (12.9 cm x 9.9 cm)|
|Sheet Size:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed Size:||21 4/5 in x 20 3/4 in (55.4 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower right.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
|Gallery Price:||Price on Request Submit Best Offer Inquire Quickest way is to call us at 510-777-9970|
While the sheer quality of detail represents Durer's unequaled talent, it is most remarkably displayed by the drapery of cloth and textural variations. For each line seen within the print, the artist removed the wood surrounding the area; this is particularly arresting when examining the garments of Mary's attendant. The quality of line work and solid border indicate the extreme care used in producing this print. Of this print Strauss states, "The compositions are larger proportion to the picture area. The cutting of this woodcut is particularly delicate, as evident from the details of the shaded face of Martha, on the left. The Magdalen, identified by her loose hair, is at the Virgin's right. Christ's disciples are in the distant background" (Strauss, 108).
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower right. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Albrecht Durer Christ Taking Leave of His Mother (The Small Passion), 1612 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1. Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonne no. 21.
2. Kurth, Willi. The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer. Dover Publications, Inc.: New York, 1963. Listed and illustrated as cat. no. 227 and detailed on pg. 31-2.
3. Meder, Joseph. Dürer-Katalog. Verlag Gilhofer & Ranschburg: Vienna, 1932. Listed and illustrated as cat. no. 132.
4. Scheller, R. & Boon, K. (1971). The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and The Dürer School. Vangendt & Co.: Amsterdam. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 132.
5. Schoch, R. et. Al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer, Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II: Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Prestel: München. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 193 on pgs .297-8.
6. Strauss, Walter L., ed. Albrecht Dürer, Woodcuts and Woodblocks. New York, 1980. Listed and illustrated as cat. no. 108.
7. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Albrecht Durer Christ Taking Leave of His Mother (The Small Passion), 1612 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.