Albrecht Dürer, Christ Appearing to His Mother (The Small Passion), 1612
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Christ Appearing to His Mother (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.46; K. 252; M.155; Str.130|
|Image:||4 15/16 in x 3 3/4 in (12.5 cm x 9.5 cm)|
|Sheet:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed:||22 in x 20 3/4 in (55.9 cm x 52.7 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
While the sheer quality of detail represents Dürer's unequaled talent, it is most remarkably displayed by the drapery of the bed curtains and the oscillating flag that Christ carries. Mary appears at peace upon viewing her resurrected son, as she bows gracefully in prayer. Christ reaches towards her, an almost humbled expression upon his face. We feel privileged to witness this private reunion between mother and son, exemplifying Dürer's great skill at conveying human emotion. For each line seen within the print, Dürer removed the wood surrounding the area. This is particularly arresting when examining the rays of light that surround the head of Christ.
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower left. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
This work is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1) Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonnè no. 46.
2) Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, 1963, listed as plate 252 and discussed on page 31-2.
3) Meder, Joseph, Dürer-Katalog, 1932. Listed and illustrated as cat no 155.
4) Scheller, Robert W. and Karel G. Boon, The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer Hans Dürer and the Dürer School, 1971, Listed as cat no 155.
5) Schoch, R., et al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 216.
6) Strauss, Walter L., Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, 1980. Listed as cat no 130.
7) A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.