|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Albrecht Dürer The Crucifixion (The Small Passion), 1509|
|Reference:||B.40; K. 246; M.149; Str.124|
|Image Size:||5 in x 3 7/8 in (12.7 cm x 9.8 cm)|
|Sheet Size:||5 in x 3 7/8 in (12.7 cm x 9.8 cm)|
|Framed Size:||22 in x 20 3/4 in (52.7 cm x 55.88 cm)|
|Edition:||A Meder (b) of (b) impression from the later editions without text after the Italian edition of 1612.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock ‘AD’ in the lower right.|
|Condition:||This work is generally in good condition. This vintage 16th century work has had minor expert conservation not affecting the image and is trimmed to the borderline.|
|Gallery Price:||Sold. Please call us at 510-777-9970 for similar works.|
Albrecht Dürer The Crucifixion (The Small Passion), 1509 is striking and emblematic offering from the master woodcut artist. Virtually all the figures in this image turn their heads or cover their faces in shame or grief. Dürer’s intense use of detail in rendering the body of Christ heightens the visceral quality of emotion exhibited within the piece. Of this print Walter L. Strauss has stated that Dürer “concentrates on the figure of the Magdalene, in the foreground, on her knees, who symbolizes extreme grief in a stance that is immediately comprehensible to the widest possible audience” (Strauss, 378).
Created in 1509, this woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock ‘AD’ in the lower right. This work is a Meder (b) of (b) impression from the later editions without text after the Italian edition of 1612.
CATALOGUE RAISONNÉ & COA:
Albrecht Dürer The Crucifixion (The Small Passion), 1509 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1. The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. New York: Abaris Books, 1981. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 40.
2. Kurth, Dr. Willi, The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer, New York, Dover Publications, Inc., 1963. Listed and illustrated as plate 246 and discussed on page 32.
3. Meder, Joseph, Dürer-Katalog, Wien: Verlag Gilhoffer & Ranschburg, 1932. Listed as catalogue raisonné no. 149.
4. Scheller, Robert W. and Karel G. Boon, The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer Hans Dürer and the Dürer School, Amsterdam: Vengendt & Co, 1971. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné 149.
5. Schoch, R., et al. Albrecht Dürer: Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. München: Prestel Verlag, 2002. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 210.
6. Strauss, Walter L., Albrecht Dürer Woodcuts and Wood Blocks, New York: Abaris Books, 1980. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 124.
7. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
ABOUT THE FRAMING:
Albrecht Dürer The Crucifixion (The Small Passion), 1509 is museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.