Museum archival framing refers to the strict use of materials and techniques that provide protection to framed works of art on paper. Paper is sensitive to its surroundings as it can be adversely affected by dampness, changes in temperature and humidity, restriction of movement, and exposure to light. Paper will also react to the materials it comes into contact with such as acidic support boards and self adhesive tapes which museum archival framing does not use.
Museum archival framing uses 100% cotton rag as matting material, the colored space between the piece itself and the frame. Besides protecting the work from being close to the frame, it also protects the work from being too close to the glass which can have adverse effects such as condensation. The mounting hinges (invisible attachments between your art work and the backing board) are made of Japanese paper with natural wheat or rice paste used as the adhesive.
The conservation glass used in such framing filters out between 97 to 99% of ultraviolet rays, which protects the work from fading as well as scratching. In addition to possessing all of those materials, the frame should have an acid-free paper dustcover stretched across the back. This prevents dust particles and tiny insects from gaining access to your art work.
- Hommage à Marc Chagall, 1969 Marc Chagall Hand Signed Color Lithograph for saleSOLDItem # 2247
- Couple et Poisson (Couple and Fish), From Nice and the Cote d’Azur, 1967 Marc Chagall Hand Signed Color Lithograph for saleREQUEST PRICE/SUBMIT BEST OFFERW-5546
- The Crossing of the Red Sea pl.34 (from the Bible Series), 1958 Marc Chagall Hand Signed Etching for saleSOLDW-5392
- Vénus et l’Amour, d’après Lucas Cranach l’Ancien, (Venus and Cupid , after Lucas Cranach the Elder), 1957 Pablo Picasso Hand Signed Color LithographSOLDItem # 5064
- Nature morte au citron et un pichet rouge (Still Life with Lemon and Red Pitcher), c.1955 Pablo Picasso Original Hand Signed Color Aquatint for SaleREQUEST PRICE/SUBMIT BEST OFFERW-6107
- Fumeur à la Cigarette Verte (Smoker with Green Cigarette), 1964 Pablo Picasso Hand Signed Etching and AquatintSOLDItem # 5028