Several of diverse artists that Masterworks Fine Art features sold well at auction this past week, creating an interesting momentum in the market for surrealist and impressionist works. Vue sur l’Estaque et le Château d’If (1883-1885), rare among Cezanne works due to its vertical-format landscape, sold for $20.5 million at a London auction yesterday, making it the first time it hit the market since 1936. Painted during his last visit to the town of L’Estaque, Cezanne found wonderful inspiration in the location with this particular piece capturing a view from the hill above the town, with trees framing the fishing port’s terracotta rooftops and the Mediterranean Sea. This price further cements Cezanne’s place, at the moment, as the world’s most expensive artist.
Meanwhile Joan Miró’s Woman, Moon, Birds, (1950) was the highest lot, selling for $30.2 million. An abstract work featuring figures cavorting in the moonlight, Miró’s work and surrealism in general is becoming popular with Russian and Asian buyers. This is believed to be because the art express the mood of unreality, unease and the irrational in Europe between the two world wars. As the international market becomes more diverse in taste, the demand will increase making these works difficult to come by and now the time buy.
View our Joan Miró inventory here: Joan Miró inventory
View our Paul Cezanne inventory here: Paul Cezanne inventory
Please visit our Art Education page here: Masterworks Fine Art Gallery Art Education
<h3>Suggested Miro artworks:</h3>
- Affiche pour l’exposition ‘Homenatge a J. Torres Clavé (Poster for the exhibition ‘Homenatge a J. Torres Clavé), 1980 Joan Miro Hand Signed Color LithographREQUEST PRICE/SUBMIT BEST OFFERItem # 4622
- Le Chien Bleu (The Blue Dog), 1959 Joan Miro Hand Signed Color Etching and AquatintSOLDItem # 3570
- Set of 10 Works from Tracé sur l’eau (Trace on the Water), 1963 Joan Miro Hand Signed Color LithographsREQUEST PRICE/SUBMIT BEST OFFERItem # 3629
- Terres de grand feu, 1956 Joan Miro Hand Signed Lithograph for saleREQUEST PRICE/SUBMIT BEST OFFERItem # 5070
- Miró-Pintura (Miró-Painting), 1978 Joan Miro Color LithographSOLDItem # 5005
- Le Lézard aux plumes d’or (The Lizard with Golden Feathers), 1971 Joan Miro Hand Signed Color LithographSOLDItem # 4094