Andy Warhol is a dynamic artist whose subject matter range from everyday objects to world famous celebrities. Created in 1983, Andy Warhol’s Endangered Species silkscreen prints are some of the most important works of his oeuvre. These 10 screen prints were the result of a conversation about ecological issues between Warhol and art dealers Ronald and Frayda Feldman. Aside from their prominence in the art world, the Feldmans were long-time political and environmental activists. Since Warhol himself was also an animal lover, this commission gave rise to the ten colored silkscreen prints each featuring an endangered species at the time.
Each silkscreen print shares the vibrant coloring and iconic status associated with the portraits of Warhol celebrities such as Marilyn Monroe, Muhammad Ali and Grace Kelly. Like he had done with the portraits of celebrities, the animals are colored vibrantly, a quality Warhol described as “animals in makeup.” Warhol thus honors the animals by placing them on a level of superstardom, reminding viewers of the importance these animals hold on a global level.
Since its conception, the portfolio has been exhibited all over the world, many prints gifted by Andy Warhol to charities concerned with preserving the natural environment.
Of the animals on this list, eight still remain on the endangered species list. The bald eagle was taken off the list in 2007 and the Pine Barrens tree frog was removed shortly after the creation of this portfolio due to erroneous information on the species.
Endgangered Species Portfolio, 1983
More Warhol Blog Posts….
|American Artist Series: Andy Warhol|
|Diamond Dust: Shining Bright with Artists|
|Andy Warhol: Into the Future|
Popular Art Blog Posts…
|Pablo Picasso’s Rose Period (1904-1906)|
|Pablo Picasso and his Women, Picasso’s Artistic Style through the Years|
|Marc Chagall, Stained Glass Windows for Jerusalem Series|
Suggested Warhol artworks:
- Marilyn Monroe (Marilyn), 1967 Andy Warhol Original Hand Signed Screenprint for sale
- Muhammad Ali, 1978 Andy Warhol Original Hand Signed Screenprint for saleSOLDItem # 3044
- Queen Margrethe II of Denmark (White) from the Reigning Queens Royal Edition with Diamond Dust of 1985 Andy Warhol Original Hand Signed Screenprint for saleREQUEST PRICE/SUBMIT BEST OFFERItem # 4842
- Judy Garland Blackglama from the Ads Series, 1985 Andy Warhol Original Hand Signed Unique Screenprint for saleREQUEST PRICE/SUBMIT BEST OFFERW-5588
- Andy Warhol Rebel without a Cause (James Dean), from the Ads Series, 1985 Andy Warhol Original Hand Signed Screenprint for saleREQUEST PRICE/SUBMIT BEST OFFERW-6110
- Screenprint, Mick Jagger, 1975 Andy Warhol Hand Signed Color ScreenprintSOLDItem # 3525