|Artist:||Pablo Picasso (1881 - 1973)|
|Title:||Colombe au soleil (Dove with Sun), 1962|
|Image Size:||23 in x 20 in (58.4 cm x 50.8 cm)|
|Sheet Size:||30 in x 22 in (76.2 cm x 55.9 cm)|
|Framed Size:||approx. 42 in x 34 in (106.7 cm x 86.4 cm)|
|Edition:||Numbered from the edition of 200 in colored pencil in the lower left.|
|Signature:||This work is hand-signed by Pablo Picasso (Malaga, 1881- Mougins, 1973) in colored pencil in the lower right; also signed and dated in stone in the lower right.|
|Condition:||This work is in excellent condition.|
|Gallery Price:||Sold. Please call us at 510-777-9970 for similar works.|
A symbol of resilience and peace during times of combat, the dove ascends triumphantly above the violence of war. Flowing lines and graceful ease embody the dove’s tranquility and freedom, while juxtaposing with the brash aggression and angular depiction of the burned mass below. In reference to this piece Rodrigo states: "The Drawing of a dove with an olive branch in its beak is the main subject of the poster. The dove is flying with its wings extended high above a bonfire of broken weapons, symbolizing war. The dove, like the Phoenix, is born again from the still smoking ruins and flies up to bring a message of peace and hope." (Rodrigo, 1,622.)
Created in 1962, this color lithograph is hand-signed by Pablo Picasso (Malaga, 1881- Mougins, 1973) in colored pencil in the lower right, and is also signed and dated in stone in the lower right. Published by World Congress for General Disbarment and Peace, Moscow and printed by Imprimerie Mourlot, Paris,numbered from the edition of 200. This is a lithograph drawn by Picasso for the poster advertising the World Congress for General Disbarment and Peace held in Moscow from July 9th to 14th, 1962.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
Pablo Picasso Dove with Sun (Colombe au soleil), 1962 is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices that will accompany the final sale of the work)
1. Costantino, Maria. Picasso Posters. PRC, 2001. The edition after the text listed and illustrated on page 91.
2. Czwiklitzer, Christopher, Picasso's Posters, New York: Random House, 1970. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 174.
3. Rodrigo, Luis Carlos, Picasso In His Posters: Image and Work, Volume I, Arte Ediciones, 1992. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 122.
4. Rodrigo, Luis Carlos Picasso. In His Posters: Image and Work, Volume 3, Arte Ediciones, 1992. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no
5. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
About the Framing:
Pablo Picasso Dove with Sun (Colombe au soleil), 1962 is framed to museum-grade, conservation standards, presented in a complementary moulding and finished with silk-wrapped mats and optical grade Plexiglas.