Albrecht Dürer, Christ Washing St. Peter's Feet (The Small Passion), 1612
|Artist:||Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528)|
|Title:||Christ Washing St. Peter's Feet (The Small Passion), 1612|
|Reference:||B.25; K.231; M.134; B&S. 134; Str. 110|
|Medium:||Woodcut Monogrammed in the Block, Italian Edition of 1612|
|Image:||5 in x 3 13/16 in (12.7 cm x 9.7 cm)|
|Sheet:||7 3/4 in x 5 1/2 in (19.7 cm x 14 cm)|
|Framed:||22 1/4 in x 21 in (56.5 cm x 53.3 cm)|
|Edition:||This work is from the Italian edition of 1612, with Italian text on verso.|
|Signature:||This work is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower right.|
|Condition:||This work is in good condition.|
Dürer captures St. Peter's immense devotion to Christ in this touching image, where Christ shows Peter that Peter is worthy of Christ's love and respect. Strauss states, 'As stated by Walter L. Strauss, "the contemplative pose of St. Peter as his feet are washed calls to mind the apostle's remark, "not only my feet…" (John 13:9). The three dimensionality of St. Peter's legs…the strong chiaroscuro and the concentrically conceived spatial arrangement; all contribute to the effectiveness of this sheet (Strauss, 350.)"
Created in 1612, this original woodcut is monogrammed in the woodblock 'AD' in the lower right. This work is from the Italian edition of 1612 with Italian text on verso.
Catalogue Raisonné & COA:
This work is fully documented and referenced in the below catalogue raisonnés and texts (copies will be enclosed as added documentation with the invoices accompanying the final sale of the work):
1. Bartsch. (1981). The Illustrated Bartsch Vol. 10. Edited by Walter L. Strauss. Abaris Books: New York. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonne no. 25.
2. Kurth, Willi. The Complete Woodcuts of Albrecht Dürer. Dover Publications, Inc.: New York, 1963. Listed and illustrated as cat. no. 231 and detailed on pg. 31-2.
3. Meder, Joseph. Dürer-Katalog. Verlag Gilhofer & Ranschburg: Vienna, 1932. Listed and illustrated as cat. no. 134.
4. Scheller, R. & Boon, K. (1971). The Graphic Art of Albrecht Dürer, Hans Dürer and The Dürer School. Vangendt & Co.: Amsterdam. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 134.
5. Schoch, R. et. Al. (2002). Albrecht Dürer, Das druckgraphische Werk, Band II: Holzschnitte und Holzschnittfolgen. Prestel: München. Listed and illustrated as catalogue raisonné no. 195 on pgs. 301-302.
6. Strauss, Walter L., ed. Albrecht Dürer, Woodcuts and Woodblocks. New York, 1980. Listed and illustrated as cat. no. 110.
7. A Certificate of Authenticity will accompany this work.
ABOUT THE FRAMING:
Museum grade conservation framed in a complementary moulding with silk mats and optical grade Plexiglas.